Wednesday, December 11, 2013

S.O.A.P. Journaling: Luke 8:42-48




Our church started going through the book of Luke chapter by chapter since our kick-off Sunday in September. My choice in passage comes from our reading that week and is something that just hit me differently this time.

Scripture: As Jesus was on his way, the crowds almost crushed him. And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for 12 years, but no one could heal her. She came behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped. “Who touched me?” Jesus asked. When they all denied it, Peter said, “Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you.” But Jesus said, “Someone touched me, I know that power has gone out of me.” Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed. Then he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace.”

Observation: Crowds are just that, crowded, pushing against each other. I can imagine myself as the woman, believing so much in this man in front of me that if I could just touch his coat I’d be healed. He doesn’t need to see me. I’m not worthy of him. And the moment I touch him, I know in my heart I am healed and I feel like I may have gotten away with something. Only, I am stopped by his words. “Who touched me?” To be so full of power that he could tell that my touch was different from all the others around him. She bared her soul to him, all the years of sickness and pain. Expecting anger or disgust because this unclean woman touched this man, making him unclean according to law, instead she received love and acceptance. He called her “Daughter”. He saw her, really saw her, as she had always hoped to be seen. She had so much faith in this stranger, she trusted in him fully. I can imagine feeling the peace because of his words... whole again…

Application: I have my own issues that I’ve been dealing with for years: depression, sleep apnea, joint/back pain, and obesity, just to name a few. I know he can heal me with just a word, just a touch. I need to let go of my control and let him be in charge. I need to stop depending on man to fill my needs because man will fall short. I need to trust God and have faith that he will provide for all my needs: physical, emotional and spiritual.

Prayer: Lord, teach me to have faith like the woman in the crowd. Show me I can trust in you when mankind has failed me. Help me in my unbelief.

No comments: