Friday, December 6, 2013

S.O.A.P. Journaling: Matthew 4:14 and Deuteronomy 8:1-5




S.O.A.P. journaling was taught to me by a dear friend in my Life Group this fall. S.O.A.P. stands for Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer. We journal once a week for Life Group, but a person could do this daily. In your personal study time, pick a scripture that spoke to you. Write out what you observe when you read it. I often pick up some great insight by reading my Bible’s study notes, too. Think about how you would apply this scripture to your life. The write a short prayer reflecting what you have learned from this passage. This is my first S.O.A.P. journal.

Scripture: Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. After fasting 40 days and 40 nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.” Jesus answered, “It is written: Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” Matthew 4:1-4

Be careful to follow every command I am giving you today, so that you may live and increase and may enter and possess the land that the Lord promised on oath to your forefathers. Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the desert these 40 years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. Your clothes did not wear out and your feet did not swell during these forty years. Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the Lord your God disciplines you.

Observation:  I started with Luke 4:1-4, thinking this was a good reminder about my eating habits… food cannot fill the God-shaped holes in my heart. So I jumped to Matthew and again was reminded that when I allow myself to let down my guard, I am open to all kinds of temptations that are easier to stand firm against if I would spend enough time in scripture and prayer. Then I followed the rabbit trail to Deuteronomy to see what the original text was. Wow! First, it was the reminder to be obedient – I have to work on that. Next, was about the 40 years of wandering “to humble and test you” and it hit me that is why Jesus was in the desert, to be humbled as a man and to be tested. So, everybody (Israelites, Jesus, myself) was tempted by hunger to teach them to depend on God who fed them just by saying “manna”… His Word brings life! Then, the fact that for 40 years their clothes/shoes didn’t get worn out and all that walking never caused swelling! Disobedience leads to consequences whether we are 2, 12, 32 or 62!

Application: My study notes spoke volumes to me so I swiped most of my application from there: Many people think that life is based on satisfying their appetites. If they can earn enough money to dress, eat, and play in high style, they think they are living “the good life”. But such things do not satisfy our deepest longings. In the end they leave us empty and dissatisfied. Real life, according to Moses, comes from total commitment to God and living by every word that comes from Him. How can we live by his word? (1) Recognize our need for it (2) agree that God alone can truly satisfy us (3) Pray for God’s presence, wisdom, and directions as we read (4) Savor the relationship you have with him through Christ. (5) Practice what he teaches you. It’s usually easy for us to take God’s protection for granted. We seldom take notice or thank God when our car doesn’t break down, our clothes don’t rep or our tools don’t break. The people of Israel also failed to take notice, it seems, for they didn’t even notice that in 40 years of wandering in the dessert, their clothes didn’t wear out and their feet didn’t swell. Thus, they did not remember to give thanks to God for these blessings. What has been working well for you? What has been giving you good service? What has been lasting for a long time without breaking down or apart? Remember to thank God for these quiet blessings.

Prayer: Father God, I am reminded often of my love/hate relationship with food and eating, but I hardly pay attention to the reason I struggle. Lord, I have hungered for a deeper relationship with you for years. I need to remember to turn to you first when I’m tempted. Help me be obedient. Help me give thanks for all the things that are good or working in my life. I don’t want to treat you like a genie or Santa, talking to you only when I need something or when times are rough. Show me your hand, active in my life and help me remember to praise you in all circumstances and for all things. Amen.

No comments: