Sunday, December 30, 2007

How I met my Knight

So, after on bad relationship after another, I finally gave up looking. I told God I was just out to have fun if and He wanted me to meet somebody that He would have to make it happen. When Laura invited me to go skating again, I decided why not? I still had some friends that went and it would be fun to see them.

Earlier that day, I had been monkeying with my "day-by-day" calendar. You know how if you don't tear the page off just right it starts leaving that messy ridge of glue/paper... well, I decided I was going to clean my calendar with my exacto knife... my new, sharp exacto knife... while sitting at my computer... no cutting board... sharp things don't like me... they always find a way to draw blood.. The joke around my family is if you lost a needle in a haystack, just let me loose barefooted and I'd be sure to find it! So, sitting there in my favorite jeans I went to work at the calendar... and the blade slipped... right through my jeans leaving a nice deep gouge in my thigh...

I decided to grin and bear it and go skating that evening afterall. Still wearing my favorite jeans with the new hole in the thigh, I met Laura at the rink. After a skating a few songs I decided to sit and rest. Several others were sitting down, too... I think it was a couples song and none of us were coupled off... yet...

I hadn't talked to Laura much yet and hadn't told her about my leg, so as we sat with a couple friends and this handsome mystery man (my knight) I shared with them that I had gouged my leg, ruining my pants. My Knight asked, "why'd you do that?" Sarcasm and straight faced humor runs in my family, so without even thinking I said, completely deadpanned,"Because I like the feel of pain and the sight of blood."

You'd think that would have scared him away, but instead it intrigued him. The following week we had our first date! We drove for 4 hours to take my neice from her dad's house to my brother's place. I can't drive long distances alone as I get sleepy behind the wheel. My knight was willing to drive with us. After dropping of my neice, we talked the whole way back, sharing our histories... yes, pretty much every bit of it. Like I told God, I was done looking so if this guy was going to be the one, I didn't want him to come in and be broadsided by my baggage. One month later, I told him that I hope I wouldn't scare him away, but I loved him. Four months later my Knight gave me an engagement ring. Eight months later we were married (almost exactly 1 year from the day we met.

No comments: