Sunday, November 17, 2013

Quick Breads!




I love bread, but being allergic to yeast, I’ve had to give up one of my favorite foods! So, I’ve turned to quick breads. Often sweeter, they satisfy my hunger for bread and my sweet tooth at the same time. I made these 2 quick breads for my MOPS group recently.

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
For the bread:
3 over-ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 c melted butter
¾ c sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
Dash of salt
1 ½ c flour
For the swirl:
1/3 c sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour loaf pan (9x5). Mix bananas, butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together. Sprinkle baking soda and salt around on top of banana mixture. Gently stir in flour. Be careful not to over-mix. In a small dish, mix together the swirl ingredients. Add ½ of the batter to the loaf pan and then sprinkle half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture all over the batter in the pan. Add the rest of the batter, and then sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon-sugar on top. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Notes: I used part white and part wheat flour. I had troubles removing my bread from the pan as I think I put too much swirl mix too close to the edges of the pan. It caused my bread to break apart.

~*~*~*~

Chocolate Swirled Pumpkin Zucchini Bread (www.sweettreatsmore.com)
3 cups flour
1 ½ Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
2 ¼ c sugar
½ cups applesauce
½ cup canned pumpkin
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 ½ cups shredded zucchini
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 8x8 bread pans and set aside. In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat eggs, sugar, applesauce, and canned pumpkin together until smooth. Slowly beat dry ingredients not wet ingredients until combined. Stir in shredded zucchini. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring in 15 second intervals until smooth. Pour ¼ of the batter into each of the bread pans. Spoon a few tablespoons of melted chocolate over the batter and swirl into the batter with a toothpick. Pour the remaining batter into the two pans, spoon more chocolate over the batter and swirl in again. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Notes: I used part whole wheat and part white flour. And I used fresh pumpkin puree instead of canned.

No comments: