Thursday, November 14, 2013

S.O.A.P. Journaling




This summer, we had some new people who moved to town from California. They brought with them an idea for a small group they belonged to out west. This Life Group wasn’t like any small group I had been involved with before. This group is centered on fellowship and prayer for each other. Although we study the Bible, it’s not “just another Bible Study”. Each week, we take the time to share a verse or passage that meant something to us. The way we share our passage is through S.O.A.P. journaling.  This acronym stands for Scripture, Observation, Application and Prayer. We may share from Luke, the book we are studying at Church Sunday morning, or from Matthew, which is what some of us are studying at Bible Study Fellowship. Sometimes, we share scripture from our own personal devotional time. We share what we observed from the verse. Then we share how we applied that verse to our life. Lastly we share a short prayer for our selves. I had never looked at scripture this way and have found that I really enjoy it. I’m going to share some of my journaling with you.

Scripture: I John 1:8-9 (NIV)
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Observation: Several places in scripture remind us that as a descendant of Adam, I have been born with a sinful nature. God asks us to confess those sins to Him. He will forgive us and cleanse us. That’s why Jesus had to die!

Application: Life is hard. I make mistakes. I hurt people I love and am hurt by people I love. I have been making a conscious effort over the past year especially to humble myself and take responsibility for my part in conflict or in the hurt I have caused others. I am working at seeking forgiveness from them and from God. I am working to forgive those who seek forgiveness from me.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, Its brought to my mind time and again lately where I’ve hurt someone I love. Please help me to seek forgiveness for what I’ve done wrong. Help me to be content in knowing that I am forgiven by you even if the one I hurt isn’t ready to forgive me. Your forgiveness of my sins is all that truly matters. AMEN.

No comments: