Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Made to Crave: Chapter 11 - Stinkin’, Rotten, Horrible, No Good Day

I'm sharing the high points that I found in each chapter and then I answer the questions at the end of each chapter with my honest feelings. I'm reading the book on my Kindle, so I don't have page numbers for any of the thoughts I have taken from the book. This has been a journey that has spanned at least a decade for me. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm farther along than I used to be. Walk with me and feel free to share your thoughts. Be kind. Be blessed.



·        Isn’t it just like Satan to make us think we have to have something to comfort  us, fill us, satisfy us, only to be haunted by the consequences of this comfort later?
·        But I love what my friend Ruth Graham says about traveling around the same mountain for far too long. “Either we can be victimized and become victims, or we can be vicitimzed and rise above it. Often it is easier to play the victim than take off our masks and ask for help. We get comfortable with our victim status. It becomes our identity and is hard to give up. The Israelites often played the victim card, and I love what God finally tells them, “You have circled this mountain long enough. Now turn north” (Deuteronomy 2:3 NASB). Turn north! It’s time to move on! Self-pity, fear, pride, and negativity paralyze us. Taking off our masks takes courage, but if we don’t do it, we will remain in our victim status and end up stunted.”
·        Taking off my mask means I have to admit that there’s a problem, and I really don’t want to do that. Admitting I have a problem will likely require that I make changes, and changes are hard. Food gives such an instant rush and tangible good feeling. It’s so much easier to figure out how to get the short-term high of a cookie than it is to get a heart filled up and satisfied with God.
·        Eventually, God broke through my worn-out heart. A thought rushed through my mind and caught me off guard; I know you want me to change your circumstances Lysa. But, right now I want to focus on changing you. Even perfect circumstances won’t satisfy you like letting Me change the way you think.
·        “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express” (Romans 8:26).
·        Whatever it is if we are really going to stop circling the mountain and head north toward lasting changes, we have to empty ourselves of the lie that other people or things can ever fill our hearts to the full. Then we have to deliberately and intentionally fill up on God’s truths and stand secure in His love.
·        Here are some examples of how I do that: Old lie: I need these Oreos. They will fill me up with a chocolate high and taste so good. New Truth: The thought that these Oreos will fill me is a lie. They will taste good for just the few minutes it will take to eat them. Then that hollow feeling of guilt will rush in as soon as the chocolate high dissipates. Do I want to eat right now because I need nourishment or because I’m feeling empty emotionally or spiritually? If I truly need a snack right now I am capable of choosing a healthier option. Favorite Verse: “And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love may have power, together with all the saints to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge – that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” (Ephesians 3:17-19)
Personal Reflections
1.      Recall a recent stressful experience that tempted you to overeat or make poor food choices. What specific feelings did the experience elicit (for example: anger, embarrassment, tension sadness anxiety grief)? The temptation itself makes me angry and sad.  Whether you resisted or gave into temptation how were your emotions impacted as a result? When I’m able to stand up to my temptation I am happy! But when I fail, I am frustrated and angry with myself as well as mad that I have to be restrictive with others don’t need to be.
2.      When you experience problems or difficult seasons in life, are you more likely to put on a mask and pretend everything is ok or take off your mask and ask for help? I put on a mask. I am a great pretender. L How has this tendency impacted your ability to resist food temptations at such times? In public, I can resist alright because people are watching me. Too keep them thinking everything is ok, I have to be responsible. But when I’m alone, having that mask gives me the wrong kind of freedom…
3.      Discovering how to pray without words helped Lysa to feel like she was connecting with God something she hadn’t felt in a long time. Have you ever prayed this way, simply spending time with God in silence and allowing the Holy Spirit to intercede on your behalf (Romans 8:26)? I have not prayed this way but wish I could. Too many times my mind won’t shut down from all my thoughts to allow me to hear God speaking. Does this idea intrigue you or scare you? It does intrigue me. When people say, “God told me to do xyz” I don’t understand what they mean. How did God speak to you because I never hear his voice or feel like He has made an impression in my mind to direct me.
4.      Lysa demonstrates how she replaces old lies about food with new trust about God’s love. In the course of a regular day, what old lies about food make it difficult for you to resist temptation? The biggest one is that nobody will know but me. Do hard times make these lies harder to resist? Yes, its harder to resist when I feel like nobody will know. Drawing on what the Bible teaches about God’s love in Ephesians 3:17-19, 1 John 3:1 and Psalm 103:17, what new truths might you use to replace your old lies? Ephesians remind me that if I stay grounded in Christ, that I have the power of God in me and he will fill me up. 1 John reminds me that I am a child of God. Psalm reminds me that God’s love is with me.
5.      “See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut” (Revelations 3:*) If God were to speak these words directly to you about your struggles with food, what do you hope you would see and experience on the other side of the door? I would hope I would experience true freedom on the other side of the door. That I could just walk right through and not be tempted by food any longer.

No comments: