Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sadness with joy


This morning my Prince's grandfather passed away. He was 96. He has lived in a nursing home for several years but this past week seemed to go steadily down hill. He was a feisty full-blooded Norwegian. I remember the day I met him. He was sitting at the kitchen table at their little, old country farm house. He teased me from the moment we met and always made me feel like I belonged with their family. Even in the nursing home as his speech and memories started to fail him, his face would light up when he saw me. He gave his life to Christ a couple years ago, so I know I'll see him again. That is where the joy comes. And my Princess has had a chance to get to know him and love him, too. That makes me happy as most of my great-grandparents were deceased before I was born. My Prince was very close with his Grandpa and is saddened but relieved that his Grandpa is now free of his old body. The funeral is Saturday. I am waiting to hear back from my doctor if it will be ok for me to travel to the funeral.

Gilman, you will be missed.

Update: I've been approved for travel so unless something changes, I will be attending the funeral Saturday.

No comments: